Some of the foods which You eat can make your dog seriously ill. Does your dog eat table scraps? Does he sit or lie near the table while you are eating, waiting for scraps to be slipped to him? Do you let your dog finish any food left after you've eaten your meal? Some of these foods can kill your dog! NOTE: You will see that many of these foods cause similar symptoms, so it can be difficult to identify which ingredient is the culprit, especially if you feed your dog assorted table scraps or servings of meals which you eat yourself. Many of these foods cause damage to the liver and kidneys and may also affect the heart. Chocolate: Most dogs love chocolate.
It's so easy, when you're eating a chocolate bar, to give the dog a piece, just as a reward for being your friend. I'll bet the kids do the same. Chocolate contains caffeine and bromethalin, both of which are poisonous to your dog.
Dark chocolate is more dangerous, because it is more concentrated. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous. The darker and more concentrated the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include difficulty in breathing, vomiting, arrythmia, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, tremors, staggering, fever, increased heart rate, and can result in seizures, coma and death. Grapes and Raisins can cause acute renal failure in dogs. Just one serving of raisins can kill a dog. Symptoms to look out for are stomach pain, diarrheoa and a general tiredness an loos of energy.
Mushrooms can be deadly. Never feed your dog pizza or any other food containing mushrooms or let your dog chew on mushrooms found in your yard. Mushrooms are potentially fatal and affect various organs, including the kidneys, stomach, liver and can result in coma or death. Coffee, Cocoa and Tea and indeed, anything containing caffeine (like chocolate). Symptoms are similar to those for chocolate and include staggering, laboured breathing, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, tremors, fever, heart rate increase, arrythmia, seizures, coma and death Xylitol is an artificial sweetener even a small amount can cause liver failure and death. Dr.
Eric Dunayer, who specializes in toxicology at The Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said that dogs ingesting substantial amounts of items sweetened with xylitol could develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of co-ordination, and seizures. "These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately," Dr. Dunayer said.
He also said that there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs. Pips and kernels of various fruits can contain cyanide! Whilst the fruit itself is perfectly good for dogs, care should be taken that they do not consume the pips and seeds. Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips all contain cyanogenic glycosides, which cause cyanide poisoning. Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmia.
Tomato plants are the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. Onions and Garlic can be dangerous or even fatal, causing damage to red blood cells and to the liver and resulting in diarrhoea, vomiting and laboured breathing. Although garlic has the stronger taste and smell, onions are much more toxic but both are very dangerous. Pizzas can be potentially dangerous because most of them contain either onions, or tomatoes or mushrooms, or a combination of all three. The dangers of excessive salt in the diet of humans are well recognized and documented.
Some dogs have a tiny body weight compared to humans and their heart and kidneys can be affected by comparatively small portions. In the same way that excessive salt is harmful to both dogs and humans, animal fat and fried foods are hazardous. Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis. Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones.
Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty in breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart. Antifreeze is certainly not a food but it has a smell and a sweet taste which is palatable to dogs. It is very toxic to dogs and just a small amount can cause renal failure. When in any locality where vehicles are stored or serviced, it is safer to keep your dog on a leash. Some Commercial Dog Foods contain toxins and poisons which are not neutralized in the rendering process and which are prohibited from human foods.
A full report, from vets and other authoritive sources can be found from the link below;.
Ken Charles is interested in the Internet, Dogs, Arthritis and Golf. See www.allabout-dogs.co.uk for full information and lots of Free stuff.